Thursday, April 16, 2009

Altman films

I found that a common trend in the Altman films we watched in class was the abrupt murders.  In The Long Goodbye, Marlowe murders Lennox at the end, which I thought was really surprising.  I just wasn't expecting such a drastic measure from Marlowe, although this murder was my favorite.  In The Player, Griffin kills the first writer he suspected in the parking lot outside of the japanese bar they were at.  I thought this murder was really surprising too.  I understand that if the guy really was who Griffin thought he was, then it might not have been so ridiculous, but Griffin had no proof he was.  In Nashville, Barbara Jean is shot right in front of everybody which was really weird.  That creepy guy was in the audience and just pulled out a gun and shot her and everybody watched him.  All of these murders were very surprising to me.  
In The Long Goodbye, I thought Lennox sort of deserved it after what he had put Marlowe through and how much he had used him.  I thought the murder in The Player wasn't to justified because Griffin had no proof the writer was the person he thought he was.  The murder in Nashville was not justified at all.  That weird guy in the audience had no part in the movie until he just unexpectedly pulled out that gun during the concert and shot Barbara Jean.  Even though I enjoyed all of the movies we watched in class, I thought the abrupt murders were a little strange.

No comments: